Evermore, Alyson Noel



*Once again, copy/pasted from my review on teenrc. ca. Yes, I am super rather lazy. Hey, at least I altered it a little.  
Let the review commence. 
This is a typical paranormal-romance book. Or as trolls may call it, a typical twilight-esque book. Not that it’s a bad thing, well, at least for certain people. It's not a good thing for me personally. I hate them. There were points where I kind of wanted to slap Ever then burn this book.

- Burning books: A good way to save humanity from deforestation AND bad literature -


Whatever. Just my opinion. 
Anyways, there’s a reason why these types of books sell, like I said, it’s because some people enjoy them. I can STAND some, if the writing is amazing and I don’t want to kill the main character/s (see ‘Unearthly’ series by Cythnia Hand, very good), and this one wasn’t awful. Although, there is a pattern to most of them.
The plot of books like this: Damsel in distress, in this case Ever, meets stalker boyfriend, Damen. There's some insta-love, some flat side characters and some decent writing. Certainly nothing poetic of course. That is unless the girl is describing her hubby's eyes, then the writing goes completely gooey. 
My biggest problems with books like this: Maybe I’m just some lonely, bitter person that doesn’t get all the hype, but sorry, I don’t understand how stalking is romantic. I can deal with certain things. So, the girl is kind of ditzy? Sure whatever. The plot is scattered? Ok, I can deal with that. Insta-love? -sigh- Fine, fine. But, when the author tries to make stalking seem super romantic. No, just no. How is stalking romantic in the slightest? If someone you just met starts following you everywhere, YOU CALL THE COPS. Otherwise, if you'd fancy being found dead by morning, then by all means enjoy your psychotic boyfriend.  Stalking is not sexy, it’s creepy. And yet, there are several stories, like this one, that try to convince me otherwise.


- Aha. What beautiful logic we can apply to real life -


Concluding thoughts? Well, like I said at the top, this book isn’t completely awful. It doesn’t pretend to be anything mind-shatteringly profound, so it’s really not meant to be. The writing is ok, the characters are unlikable (in my opinion), but the entire thing is so incredibly typical and overused.
I didn’t enjoy it, so I probably won’t read the sequel. There’s so many other BRILLIANT books to read, why would I want to waste my time on something I think is mediocre at best?

The only amazing thing about "Evermore" is the german cover. 
Final verdict: 4 – 4.5/10

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Sorry bro, I don't actually speak German. XD
      You know, It's kind of weird...I'm like 1/2 German, and my last name is German, but I don't speak it. Such a disgrace to the German society. You know, if they have one here. XD

      Delete
    2. I'm half-German too!
      but my last name is English (my mom is the German one)
      I was fluent in German... when I was 3
      since then, well, lets just say I lost it somewhere along the way
      I still understand it alright though

      Delete
    3. You have English (as in British?) AND German parents!? O_O
      Your accent must be seriously epic. <-----VERY VERY VERY JEALOUS
      My family is cultural in the sense we're like a modge-podge of a million different things, but in the end, we're all so incredibly un-cultural.

      *sigh* Well, at least I know French (and English of course XD).

      Delete
    4. I'm a bit of a mutt actually
      I'm 1/2 German, 1/4 English, 1/8 Scottish, and 1/8 Irish (but I just unite the latter three under the heading "british" usually)
      The German comes from my mom's side of the family.
      However, me and my parents were all born in Canada, so my accent is, well, Canadian :P
      As for cultural stuff, we do more German cause my Oma lives nearby and she makes us meals (that we eat with her of course) sometimes...
      but we're a bit of a hodge-podge too in that we'll try to experience parts of other cultures (mostly asian ones - seeing as we live in Richmond) as well

      Delete
    5. 1/2 German, 1/4 Ukrainian, and I believe, 1/4 Polish.
      But yeah, still more Canadian than anything. :)
      My Nana lives close too, but she's a part of the Ukrainian/Polish half. So, I haven't ever experienced German culture, despite being 1/2 German. What's it like? :D

      Delete
    6. the food is good, well, at least the way she makes it (dyk that there's a german food booth at one of the night markets this yr? :P)
      Germans are also generally neat freaks
      man, it's really hard to describe a culture
      you rlly have to experience it for urself
      (I went to Germany 3 times as a kid :P)

      Delete
    7. New mission acquired: Go to the night market and try German food.
      Neat Freaks, eh? Yeah, I probably wouldn't fit in. XD
      You have family members in Germany? Cool! :D

      Delete
    8. it's the one near the River Rock (that has the German food)
      they're selling pork hock, bratwurst, and pretzels
      unfortunately that only scratches the surface of German cuisine...

      Delete
    9. Meh, I'll still give it a shot the next time I go there.

      Thanks! :D

      Delete