Paranormal Romance

internet memes - Pengga Please

Yes Pingu. Oh Yes, I did. I am venturing into this territory. Come, Join me. 

In YA land this is probably the most popular genre right now. Why? I don't know...people just seem to enjoy them. Either that, or they enjoy hating on them. Weirdly enough, everyone's been posting reviews up on these types of books, but no one's asked the clever question; What's your favorite one? Well, I have been inspired by "bendavis", who posted the Dystopian discussion, and have created this post. Also, yes, I am totally going to steal the format of said post. Just saying. :)

Short rant before I start: Ok, hopefully I won't get shot here. I'm going to just come out and confess: I'm usually not a fan of this genre. Honestly, I do try to be neutral, but sometimes it's just so difficult. I could go off on some lengthy rant here, but that's not really the point of this post. Instead, I want to introduce some hidden gems in the rough that I hope will appease you, the readers/writers of this blog. Of course, I want all the hidden gems you've acquired as well. SHOW ME THE MONEY!

The Usual, Done Differently:

Iron Fey series - Julie Kagawa : Fairies are scary. Fairies are also completely awesome at the same time.

Angelfall - Susan Ee : I worship the ground Miss Ee walks on. Read this book, I cannot explain its awesomeness eloquently enough. I must thank my good friend a million times over, the one that recommended this to me is brilliant. It's on Amazon kindle for only 2.99. <----one of my favorites in this genre

Unearthy series - Cythnia Hand : Also a good angel series. More girly, but with strong characters none the less.

Curse Workers series - Holly Black : Male POV. It has a very cool mafia-esque feel. And cats, it has cats.

Paranormalcy series - Kiersten White : A completely lovable, sassy heroine. A sweet and funny book wrapped into one.

Scary-ish:

The Forest of Hands and Teeth - Carrie Ryan : This one is about zombies. Have fun sleeping when night comes. Aha, you won't, trust me.

Anna Dressed in Blood - Kendare Blake : A ghost that can tear people in half? Yes. PLEASE. Sign me up now. Sequel coming out August 7th. <---- also one of my favorite books in this genre

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs : More creepy than scary. The photographs inside certainly add to the atmosphere of it all.

The Immortal Rules - Julie Kagawa : Vampires don't sparkle here. They eat human flesh.

Random:

Leviathan - Scott Westerfeld : Much better than the Uglies in my opinion. Not paranormal romance, more of a steam punk romance I guess, but still a good book.

Graceling, Fire and Bitterblue - Kristin Cashore : I sing high praises for these novels. Fantasy - romance, with more emphasis on the plot. All the main female characters were well developed, strong, independent and intelligent. Also, the writing was amazing.

Zombies Versus. Unicorns - Various Authors : Hilarious. Brilliant commentary from the co-hosts of the book.

DONE. ...I should really try to add more to this list.

So guys, what are your hidden paranormal - romance gems?

15 comments:

  1. Amazing books on the list, I don't know if this will fit but it is my favorite book at the moment right now so I have to through the suggestion in. SWITCHED BY AMANDA HOCKING! It's so enchanted and descriptive that has a little twist with the romance, a total page turner so I would add that to the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I read the review you posted for Switched. XD
      The troll concept is certainly different (a good different I hope XD), and it seems like a good book compared to some of the ones I've read in the past. The cover's quite nice as well. :)

      Delete
  2. Haha yes, the whole concept is more unique and it is definitely a good different, but I hope when you hear trolls, don't think it is the trolls hiding under a bridge that are short and nasty! XD They're more like people with powers. You should totally read the book, believe me, you would be glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Switched sounds like the Iron Fey series (the whole 'switched at birth, is really from another realm' sort of thing :D), which is one of the series I liked. I just hope that Switched isn't too cute.

      The books up there have a good deal of action in them, so I might be disappointed if Switched doesn't. D:

      Delete
  3. The ONE AND ONLY paranormal romance book I will EVER recommend is Immanuel's Veins by Ted Dekker.
    If you are looking for a paranormal thriller on the other hand, read Nightmare by Robin Parrish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of the two, I think Nightmare by Robin Parrish would suit my fancy more. Historical fiction usually doesn't like me much, so we don't always make a very good match.
      Thanks for the recommendations though. :)

      PS. I can't seem to find 'Nightmare' on either the library's website, or the e-book website. Did you buy it, or am I missing it on one of them?

      Delete
    2. RPL doesn't have it.
      Got my copy from the fraser valley library (I am a member at 3 different libraries)
      XD

      Delete
    3. -sad-
      Oh well, I guess I could always get the e-book version off of Amazon since it's only like 5.00. XD

      I want to find an excerpt of the book first though. :)

      Delete
  4. LOL one and only ?? Paranormal books aren't your type?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have to say Hex Hall! :)
    That is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just ordered Nightmare by Robin Parrish - you should be able to place a hold on it in a week or so...

    If you have stumbled upon an amazing book that the library doesn't have, let us know, we are more than happy to get it for you. Email us at: teens@yourlibrary.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! HONESTLY, THANK YOU SO MUCH! (You can't see it over a computer, but I'm smiling like an idiot over on this side) :D
      I'm definitely putting it on hold once it comes in. :)

      Delete
    2. WE CAN DO THAT?!?!?!?!
      AWESOME!!!!

      Delete
  7. I don't even know why I read all these PR books and call myself a fan. Most of the PR books I read suck and I end up writing long rant-reviews on them. Oh well. There are a few worth reading. Infernal Devices series (Clockwork Prince, Clockwork Angel, Clockwork Princess). They are amazing. Mortal Instruments (City of Bones) is pree good too. Both series are by Cassandra Clare. I LOVE the Wolves of Mercy Falls series by Maggie Stiefvater. Everything by Kelley Armstrong (Darkest Powers series, The Gathering, etc.) And finally, the Caster Chronicles.

    ReplyDelete