Strange Angels - Lili St. Crow

This novel was okay. I liked the plot, the characters, the writing, the theme. But there were just too many flaws for me to give it more than 3/5 stars.

Couple things I disliked:

The confusion/poorly explained. Whenever there is any action or any sort of dramatic scene at all, St. Crow suddenly gets all excited and insists on rushing the paragraph. As a result, I don't understand what the hell is going on. For example: the werwulf scene (which is all told within a page). This giant werwulf (that is somehow supposed to be on fire?) attacks Dru. She fights him (nevermind how, we aren't told) and throws him into a fountain. And he dies. Just like that. ??? What? It's just a big jumble of words that put together make no sense at all. It's enough to make me insane.

The stupidity/repetition. Dru and Christophe are in mortal danger. If they don't get the hell out of the house within the next thirty seconds, they are probably going to end up dead. But they don't rush out as fast as their little legs can carry them. Nope. They get into a fight about who's going to drive. Really? REALLY?? On many occasions, there have been conversations where Dru says something to Christopher and gets an answer. Then she asks the EXACT SAME QUESTION again and gets the same answer. AND THEN... she asks the same question and gets the same answer. What is up with that? Complete waste of words.

Couple things I liked:

Dru was kick-butt. She was not annoying or bratty or shallow. YAY! I liked her don't-mess-with-me attitude and the fact that she didn't fall for either of the two guys who were living with her (more on that later). She was strong, proud and tough. But she was also sweet and opened up about herself. Perfect protagonist (in my opinion).

The romance. :D There was none. Period. There were guys and girls but no relationships. This is a YA paranormal fiction novel. It's about a 16-year-old girl and two guys (perfect love triangle set-up), AND THERE WAS NO ROMANCE. YAY! I'm very proud. First YA paranormal novel I've read with no romance. Props to St. Crow :)

I liked how Dru was both taking care of and being taken care of (if you get what I mean). She was superior to Graves in that she knew more about the Real World, but she didn't know as much as Christophe (who was a pro hunter). It was a nice balance.

Overall, great book. 3/5. Also why is it called Strange Angels? It has nothing to do with Angels!

No comments:

Post a Comment