Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver


I'm just going to give you guys a summary, because it might be a little easier to understand.

Summary: What if you only had one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all: looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it turns out to be her last.

The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. Living the last day of her life seven times during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing

Review: So I hated this book, and I loved this book.  It was like a mix of both, here's why. The main character. If the main character isn't at least tolerable, the book won't be tolerable in any way whatsoever. The whole time I'm reading this book, I just think about how annoying the main character is. I can only read enough of a book, where the main character is a snobby, mean girl. It's alright if there mean and they can admit it, but in this book they expected us to feel sorry for the main character. I just couldn't feel sorry for her,  just because she gave her little sister her old necklace,  and gave Juliet the rose, doesn't mean all the stuff she did before are nonexistent. Although at the same time parts of me actually really enjoyed the book, mainly because of the descriptive details. In parts of it I actually remembered being able to smell the food in the cafeteria,  feel the pain that Juliet felt, and realize who the main character was, and what she really wanted to be portrayed as. It wasn't only the description but the idea itself of this book, the story line, was thought out well. So I have to give Oliver kudos for that, she also deserves some for the ending, the ending is supposed to really tie the book together, and she did just that. The ending was amazing,  the whole book can be horrible, but if the ending is good, the whole book is. So that's why it still deserved a review. I'm not going to give any spoilers, so read it for yourself.

4 comments:

  1. I read this novel too. Amazing review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the protagonist was an annoying whiny typical teen girl in the beginning, but she did grow as a person A LOT throughout the book. It wasn't just her randomly giving her loved ones presents. The presents are used to symbolize her growth; she found herself. The message of the story is amazing and difficult to see, which is part of the reason why I love this book. Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete