Across the Universe By Beth Revis


Summary: Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

I was immediately drawn to Across the Universe. I mean, who could resist such an exquisite cover?! And that summary! (Be still my heart! ;D)To my extreme disappointment, the content was messy and unfinished. Across the Universe could not rival Twilight. Its plot was explicit, predictable and UNBELIEVABLY anticlimactic.

Have you ever heard the saying, "It's the thought that counts?" I know it's not usually applied to books, but this saying screams my feelings about Across the Universe. Although I hated the delivery of the plot, I loved the idea. Why did I hate the delivery? Well, Revis continually solved problems as soon as they came up. They were illogical solutions as well, that ruined possible future issues in the plot. SPOILER EXAMPLE: When Elder reveals to the readers that he awakened Amy early, he says that he will never tell Amy because she will hate him... forever! In the next chapter... he tells Amy. =.= END OF SPOILERS. Second, ATU was annoyingly predictable. I knew the antagonist by the fifth chapter through the painfully clear hints that Revis kept giving. Predictability and illogical solutions definitely ruined this book for me...

Back to the idea. One word: INCREDIBLE... I seriously love the idea; I just wish Revis could have conveyed her idea more thoughtfully, considering the book is to become a series. ATU reminds me of Wall-e (even the backgrounds to both pictures look alike!). They were both about a HUMONGOUS ship going to a new planet, seeking the next Earth. I loved Wall-e so I guess that's why I was interested in Across the Universe. I might read the rest of the series thanks to this MAJOR redeeming plot twist. It saved me from total disappointment ;D Anyways, 4/5. Definitely an interesting read!

Potential ATU readers, just wanted to warn you that there are some really awkward sexual scenes in this book. They actually do benefit the plot and theme delivery (trust me ;D), so don't be totally turned off 'cause you heard that... but just warning you guys... 

Oh and yeah, I know that Julia Purple already did an awesome "DNF review" on this book... but I just finished reading it a few days ago and though that I should do a more complete review on Across the Universe... anyways, hope you guys enjoyed it! ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment