Unearthly - Cynthia Hand

Although I am a huge fan of the paranormal romance genre that is extremely popular at the moment, I know these books can sometimes be lacking in originality and writing style. Thankfully, Unearthly is VERY unique, VERY well-written, VERY interesting, thrilling, hilarious and pretty much any other good adjective I can't think of at the moment. It is hands down the best paranormal romance I have ever read. Prepare yourself for an emotional roller coaster ride full of twists, turns, and lots of laughs. For anyone (like me) who has been losing faith in angel paranormal romance books (ahem Hush Hush, Fallen) THIS is what you have been waiting for! THIS book has finally met my, admittedly high, standards. Why did I love it so much? Well...

The characters! Clara... YES! Just, yes! Finally. FINALLY a female protagonist that doesn't make me blow my top. Clara is not whiny, idiotic or catty. She is not selfish or pathetic. On the contrary, she is quite the opposite; confident, sarcastic, intelligent. I absolutely adored her. Thank you Cynthia Hand for finally giving me a female heroine who I admire and love; Clara is flawless! Tucker was adorable. He was the perfect boy for Clara and for the story. He was sweet without being sensitive and witty without being an ass- the perfect mix. I didn't like Christian. Maybe that's because I was on team Tucker all along, I felt as if he was very flat. Like he was just THERE. He wasn't an important part of the story at all.

Relationships! The Clara/Tucker relationship was very well played out; Clara falls in love far enough into the story that it is actually believable. It is not rushed at all. We also get to know Tucker very well as the story progresses. He was a very three-dimensional character for me, which allowed me to better appreciate Clara's love for him. Unfortunately, Christian has to be brought into the story to create the ever-popular love triangle. I understand Clara had to save him, but I really wish Cynthia would have left him out of her love life. I hate love triangles. They tear me apart. And although feeling emotion for the characters SHOULD be considered a good thing for the author's writing, I hate how Clara always goes back and forth. It seems so unrealistic. That was one of the only faults of the book.

The writing. Oh my goshhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What can I say? Cynthia Hand is one of the best writers I have ever read. Her writing is flawless. It is effortlessly subtle and beautiful, and makes reading the 400+ page book a breeze. I read the whole thing in a matter of a few days without feeling anything. She draws you into her made-up world and keeps you prisoner until the very last page. I was literally unable to put the book down. My eyes were glued to the page the whole time. This is not something I can usually say for YA paranormal romance authors, so props to Cynthia Hand for that! WOW!

The plot! Well researched. I have to mention that. I hate reading all these angel books with authors blabbering on about this and that when they really have no idea what they are talking about. Cynthia Hand did a great job with the angel facts! As to the actual plot; if I begin on this aspect, I will never finish. And I'll end up giving away so many spoilers. So I will just say that although it may not be the most original thing you have read, it is pretty darn amazing. Read it and find out!

The ending was not the best. It felt too obscure and confusing, and there were so many problems left unresolved. Hopefully the sequel will fix this issue? Overall, a fantastic read. Very refreshing, hilarious and exciting! Happy reading! ;)

6 comments:

  1. This novel seems amazing! Great review!
    I hope to read this novel soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BRILLIANT CHOICE IN A BOOK.
    Everyone was just so...real. I loved it. Clara and Tucker (jfckldsajbcfildbfkj <----fangirling) SHEESH, usually I'm not so weird over fictional characters, but the swooning factor there is inevitable. Reason: NO INSTA-LOVE. HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE NO INSTA-LOVE!? And Angela, she's like my sister. Total rivalry going on there that I can relate to. XD
    The sequel is also DEFINITELY worth your time. Read it. Quite possibly even better than the first book. (ANDDDD, the final book comes out in January 2013, which isn't too far off) :)

    Although, despite its amazing-ness, it's still the 2nd best YA angel book for me. D:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually only read this book after you posted multiple comments/reviews/posts praising it, so thank you for introducing me to this! :D I loooved them (as you can probably tell xD). OMG I KNOWW I LOVE TUCKER <333 Insta-love: Exactly, that was what was so perfect about it!! They spend time getting to know each other, then they are friends, then they talk more and then they start dating :D YAY!! Yes I will start on the sequel now.. I haven't been reading much lately (hence the steep decline of book reviews) because I am trying to write a novel.. Charlette inspired me with her JulNoWriMo, but I didn't have the time in July. So imma do AugNoWriMo :D What is your favorite angel book?? Please don't say Hush Hush or Fallen..! Hex Hall was pretty up there for me, but I have to say Unearthly is slightly better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so happy that I inspired you to read one of the books I like. :) I'm also SUPER happy that you enjoyed it. That's what awesome about this site, I'm finding books I've never heard of and enjoying them.
      Oh, you're writing a novel? That's cool! Both you and Charlotte should post links to them when you finish. :)

      My favorite angel book I actually found through a friend. She was raving about it, so I read it, and loved it (I cannot thank her enough for recommending it). "Angelfall" by Susan Ee. It's not at the library, YET (I got it online as an e-book when it was 99 cents). It's being ordered I believe (thank you librarians!), so I don't actually know when it'll be in. I've been slowly working on a couple pictures to 'promote' its release to the library. I'll post them here when i'm done of course. :)

      Also, if you liked this, you can try "Paranormalcy" by Kiersten White. It's not quite as good as "Unearthly", but it's still pretty good. The book is more 'fun' than anything. :D

      Delete