Contest #2: Alternative Book Cover

This is for Contest #2, the book cover contest.


- I was debating on that font for so long -


You can probably tell what the book is: Unwind by Neal Shusterman.

First off, Good reads summary:
Unwind, Neal Shusterman

"Connor, Risa, and Lev are running for their lives.

The Second Civil War was fought over reproductive rights. The chilling resolution: Life is inviolable from the moment of conception until age thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, parents can have their child "unwound," whereby all of the child's organs are transplanted into different donors, so life doesn't technically end. Connor is too difficult for his parents to control. Risa, a ward of the state is not enough to be kept alive. And Lev is a tithe, a child conceived and raised to be unwound. Together, they may have a chance to escape and to survive."

I choose this book, because I wanted to do something bold. Aside from this one, none of the other books I read this summer contained enough action/horror to work effectively enough. 

I really wanted to capture the fear the protagonists felt as they ran from death. This is why the font is huge, red, capitalized and bolded. 

Also, I was toying with several different images for the background. I knew I wanted to use a body part (since the process of being "unwound" involves the removal of body parts), but I ended up using the eye (my eye actually XD). I'm super happy with how the eye turned out. I thought that it looked as if it conveyed the fear I really wanted it to, therefore I altered it to change the colors (Threshold effect = bolder) and made it seem as if the face were disappearing into the backdrop (since when you're "unwound", you essentially disappear). 

Also super happy with this. :)

Original Cover:
- Sorry, the picture seems a little blurry -

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks guys! I'm happy with the final product. :D
      I've REALLY been wanting to do a mock-cover for awhile, so I went crazy with this project. I think I'll go make and post some more for fun. :)

      Delete
  2. WHOA....intense cover :D love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better than the original! Love the effects you used for the eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better than the original?! :O
      Wow, thanks so much. Best comment ever = received. :D

      Delete