The Hunger Games (movie)

Synopsis (imdb): Set in a future where the Capitol selects a boy and girl from the twelve districts to fight to the death on live television, Katniss Everdeen volunteers to take her younger sister's place for the latest match.










There was so much hype for THG months before the movie was released. I've noticed that movies with this much hype are almost always a disappointment. So, I forced myself not to get my hopes up too high which to be honest, didn't help that much.

I read the first book of THG last year, and then again a couple days before the movie was released in theatres to refresh my memory. I absolutely loved the book, but the movie? Can't really say the same for it.

I'm a pretty big fan of THG so I went on the opening day, even though I knew it would be crazy busy. I went with a friend who didn't read the book but was so amazed and thought the movie was really good

The cast was amazing. I thought Jennifer Lawrence did a really good job and how can anyone not love Josh Hutcherson? Alexander Ludwig was way too hott to play such an evil character but he's a gifted actor.The controversies about how Rue and Thresh weren't "supposed" to be African-American pissed me off so much. The book CLEARLY says that they're 'dark skinned'.

Pros: The Capitol exceeded my expectations by a long shot. All those Capitol shots seriously left me dumbstruck. Of course the cast was also one of the pros of THG. The scene where Peeta was disguised as a rock..... OMG I think I almost peed myself and also when the muttant jumped out of the tree. Unfortunately, I think those are the only parts that were worth it.

Cons: I'm sad to say this, but almost the whole movie was quite disappointing. The movie was almost three hours, yet when I walked out of the theatre, it only felt like 45mins to me. All the important scenes were rushed, while the scenes that didn't feel too important got to the point where they bored me. In the movie, I was sad when Cato died because you don't really get to know his character and experience his inner devil. But when I read the book, I was filled with joy when he died. Those intimate moments between Katniss and Rue felt so bland and didn't last long enough, so when Rue died, I didn't get emotional like I did when I read the book. I could go on with every little flaw I noticed, but then I would probably end up writing a 5 page essay.

Probably not many people will agree with me, but this was just my opinion on the movie. I don't usually read both a book and its movie, but this was an exception because I was really curious. I don't regret it, but I do wish the movie couldv'e been better.

Rating: 2.3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment