Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games was phenomenal. Catching Fire did the impossible; it surpassed it's predecessor. So you can only imagine what high expectations I had of Mockingjay prior to reading it. I was deluded into thinking it would be as fantastic as the others. I was extremely disappointed and frankly, quite upset, that this was NOT the case. At all. Coming from a talented writer who has done amazing things with words and created unique, engrossing plots, Mockingjay was appalling. It didn't feel like reading for enjoyment; it felt like a chore.

First off, Katniss. I don't even have words to describe how disappointed and disbelieving I am at what this strong, intelligent, resourceful, cunning, kick-butt protagonist has now become. In Mockingjay, she is an empty shell, a pawn for the rebels to use for their own objectives. She is diminished to an angsty, whiny, selfish brat who can do nothing but constantly bemoan her own fate. 90% of the book, she is a drugged up shadow; always wandering aimlessly through the hallways or throwing pity parties for herself in the closet. As the war unraveled, I felt like Katniss was always on the sidelines, only called in when other people commanded her to. We didn't get to see Katniss kicking butt against her enemies, we got to hear from other characters about events that occurred, or watch them on the TV. I kept waiting, sure this was all build-up for that moment when Collins would throw in the story changer. Sure that any minute Katniss would pick herself up and say "Enough is enough". I kept waiting for the moment when the winds would change and she would decide with conviction to actively work through her problems- but to my shock, that moment never came.

Which brings me to my next biggest problem with the book: it was so anti-climatic! In the rare case we were ever given an exciting scene, as soon as it got intense, Katniss would get knocked out in the midst of things and we would wake up to her in the hospital being treated. The book was mindnumbingly dull; there was absolutely no excitement. I felt no emotion at all when the rebels triumphed; no relief, no joy. Because we were not there with them, amid all the action. We were stuck with dull Katniss, watching the events unfold from the sidelines. It was INFURIATING! Katniss did nothing to help defeat the Capitol; she basically watched Prim die, got burned, and woke up in a hospital, where she (and us) were TOLD instead of SHOWN how the Capitol fell. I also couldn't believe Katniss's trial just happened without us. Katniss is moping and plotting her suicide in her room in the Capitol (as usual), and then one day Haymitch wanders in and says, "Your trial's over. You're free." Honestly, I don't give a flying fart about Katniss' countless issues; give me some action!!

WHAT IS WITH THE POINTLESS DEATHS??!! Deaths that don't ensure anyone else's survival, are excessively undignified, or never grieved for. Mockingjay was full of them. Finnick, Mesalla, itchell, Boggs, Cinna, need I say more? They are all ridiculous, gory, bloody and did NOTHING to aid Katniss bringing down the capitol. Essentially, they are all just deaths for the sake of death. Collins just randomly and meaninglessly killed off all the supporting characters to build excitement, because she couldn't bear to part with the main ones. Prim's death didn't have the impact Collins was aiming for; it felt like a strangers death. I didn't get to know or connect with Prim well enough throughout the three books to feel any emotion besides pity for Katniss. And she was absent for at least 100 pages before her death came out of nowhere, so I was too confused to feel any sadness. (Although it seems her death kind of defeated the point of sparing her from the Hunger Games.) On the other hand, I was extremely distraught over Finnick's death. He had just married the love of his life and she was pregnant, for god's sake! But I understand why Collins killed him off. I would even be okay with it (upset, but fine with it) if she had made his death a little classier. Or, A LOT classier. His death is absolutely nonsensical. I mean, eaten by mutts in a sewer? So unnecessesary.


And finally, Gale. What happened to him? Oh, he's in District 2. And what's he doing in Distict 2? Dunno. How did he get there? Dunno. Why did he go there? Dunno. How does he feel about Katniss being with Peeta out of default, not either one's choice? Dunno. What's he going to do with his life now? Where is he going to live? What's going to happen to this character that we've been with for almost three whole books, and who's played a huge part in the story of Katniss's life? Uh...I dunno. I was team Gale all along, so I admit I may be a bit biased on this front, but I do feel like the conclusion of the love triangle was very rushed. Like Collins had no idea what to do with it, so she sent one off and left it at that. But Gale fit with Katniss so well. He was like the peanut butter to her jelly. Why did you do this to me, Suzanne Collins?? Torment.


2 comments:

  1. I was uber-disappointed with Mockingjay. I've commented on every review of the first one not to read Mockingjay, but no one ever listens to me... sigh
    In my mind, The Hunger Games was the best of the bunch

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA I knowww!! I've been reading all the Suzanne Collins reviews and every single one I see your comments. "DONT READ MOCKINGJAY!" "MOCKINGJAY IS HORRIBLE!!" I read it the day it came out, because I was so excited for the finale of the Hunger Games. Ughh you have no idea how pissed I was after finishing it. I waited, what, a year? A year for that crap? No way. I liked Catching Fire better than the Hunger Games, for the sole reason that I was so damn shocked when I found out Katniss was going back in the games. I honestly was just staring at the page with my jaw on the floor. I have never, ever, been so surprised at a turn of events in my life. So because of that, I have to say Catching Fire was #1 for me, but the Hunger Games is definitely very very close behind.

    ReplyDelete