The Gift - James Patterson

There’s not much that can be said for or against this book. It’s well written and the plot is interesting, but not amazing. It didn’t hook me as much as I would have liked, as it was very slowly paced in the beginning and wayyy too fast in the end. Therefore, I started out bored and finished confused. There was barely any character development. If you haven’t read the prequel (Witch and Wizard) there is no way you will be able to connect with Wisty and Whit at all. Overall, I found it childish and boring. It’s not the worst book I’ve read, but I was expecting more from James Patterson. On the other hand, I would highly recommend his other series: Maximum Ride. It is spectacular. 2.5/5

4 comments:

  1. I found W&W boring, unbelievable, and hard to get through
    The Gift was worse - I couldn't get through it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I wasn't too impressed by Witch and Wizard. I liked it better than the Gift, however. Your right- this one was so much worse. It took me almost 2 weeks to finish which, for me, is a LONG time. Especially for such a short book. Have you read Maximum Ride? I loved that series, which is why I read this one. It is so much better. I don't know what happened to James Patterson here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first 3 Max Ride are good, The Final Warning was horrible, Max was ok, and I found Fang and Angel alright, but confusing. But with all of them, you can't think too hard about what you're reading (or reread them), because then you'll realize just how many plot holes, logic holes, and other problems they have.
      The Virals trilogy by Kathy Reichs is similar in concept to Maximum Ride, but I like them better:
      http://rplteensrc.blogspot.ca/2012/07/seizure-by-kathy-reichs.html

      Delete
  3. Yeah by the end of the series James Patterson seems like he's grasping a straws, trying to create some sort of plot twist to keep readers interested. That's what messed up the last books (Final Warning, Max, Fang) for me; it was absolute confusion. I'll try the Virals. I read your review and they seem pretty good. I haven't really read much mystery since Nancy Drew, so it will be a nice change from my normal genres.

    ReplyDelete