So Remember that post I made of writing my own JulNoWriMo?

I haven't written much cause I can't understand why certain things in the story would happen, but I'm somewhat fond of this beginning:


            People milled about everywhere, celebrating the end of a life where we had to suffer tirelessly in classrooms so plain and dull, working hard, but learning little.  I smiled awkwardly, while most of the boys had grown out of their gangly teenage body, I still retained mine allowing me to see not faces, but the crowns of heads.  I threw my arm over the shoulder of my mom, a proud Latino who at just over five feet was almost a foot shorter than me.  My father who was the same height as me at five foot eleven, stood on the other side of me smiling proudly at the fact that his only son had just graduated no matter how much allergic I was to football.  Derek, my father’s older fatter brother walked over to us, a goofy grin plastered on his face as he handed me the camera.
                “Proof that you have graduated, and like your father and I before you, will never fit into graduation gowns,” he proclaimed.  I glanced at the photo of my family, my father had begun shrinking in the past couple of years and looked handsome despite his age of fifty-five, I however, stood there looking as awkward as I felt with my graduation gown reaching just above my ankles.  I had requested a longer gown, but it seemed my request was lost in the mail.  My mother shorter than the two of us wearing a floral blouse seemed the most normal of all of us.

4 comments:

  1. Great beginning! I love your topic sentence! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really good because now I want more! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Working hard, but learning little." Love that bit. Nice writing! I love it; can we have more?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry this comment is so late, but I'm in the mood to write and I remembered you made this post a couple weeks ago. I wanted to see what kind of thing other people were writing. I always liked the spy/techy genre so I think I'll do something like that. Maybe incorporate some paranormal romance ;)

    ReplyDelete