Evermore - Alyson Noel

Evermore was interesting, but didn't have me completely hooked. It was a very typical paranormal type book; I could predict the entire book from chapter one. But that's okay, because it doesn't pretend to be anything but a typical teen paranormal novel. What you see is what you get. I was expecting it, and I ended up enjoying the book very much.

The plot was (as I mentioned) very predictable, which in turn, made the book rather boring. It's not too exciting when you know exactly what is going to happen next.

I really liked Ever. She's a typical teenage girl, and she is very easy to relate to. I found that I really got to know her well throughout the book, as if she was an actual person. She was not bratty, annoying or stupid, and she made rational decisions. However, I think Alyson did a horrible job with both Damen as a character, and the Damen/Ever relationship. I mean, if Damen is dissapearing to god-knows-where every two seconds, how on earth am I (as a reader) supposed to understand him as a character? How am I supposed to get to know him at all, and how is EVER supposed to get to know him? Where did their relationship even come from? One minute they are meeting in English class, and two days later they are making out by the pool. I just don't get it. Relationships don't blossom from thin air. They have to develop. There was no development here. It just... happened. I didn't understand Damen; what he was, where he went, what he was thinking, who he likes, what is going on. I would have liked to see more scenes with Damen in them rather than Ever obsessing over him non-stop.


The writing was actually very very good! I do not expect much from the paranormal books that I read, as they are not meant to amaze teens with spectacular writing. But this one was different. The writing was very developed, very detailed and at times very beautiful... that's a lot of "very's" ;)

So this one would probably be a 3.5/5 for me...BUT I read the sequel immediately after and LOVED it!! It is sooooooo much better! So make it through the first one, and get on to the second- you won't be dissapointed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment