Gone - Michael Grant

I loved this book, but there were a few things that I didn't quite like. And since (for reasons unfathomable to me) it is SO much easier to write horrible comments than pleasant ones, I will start off with the aspects that annoyed the hell out of me. 

1. My main issue with this book was the confusion. There were too many characters to keep track of. Having a couple main characters is alright, but in this case it got way out of hand. There were dozens of characters that were often the main focus, and I ended up confused and disoriented. There were also multiple storylines playing out in the beginning. Originally, I thought this was fine, because I was anticipating some sort of thrilling climax. As you might have guessed, there was no such thing, and I was left disappointed and unsure of how the many storylines were supposed to relate. Adding to this point, there was too much chaos in the plot itself. The plot twists were never ending- up until the point where plot twists weren't even that exciting anymore! First there was the adults disappearing, then people getting superpowers, then talking animals, then people growing tentacles out of their dismembered limbs, and to add even more, people who were eaten alive re-growing their flesh with gravel. There was just too much going on for me.

2. The book was so unevenly paced. In the beginning, Grant takes time to introduce and explore each character in a way that I feel would have been much more effective if it had been integrated throughout the novel. And once this introduction was complete, there was constant action. You just never get a break! It's one disaster after another, a war after a battle. No peace at all. I'm not much of an action person, so this was incredibly tedious for me. But to each her own, I guess.

Finished :) Those were the things I hated. Now on to the things I loved:

1. The fantastic characters: Sam is the kind of boy you want to have around when the world goes crazy. He's thrust into the spotlight again and again and (despite his reluctance) never fails to amaze. He is the reluctant hero type; he does what needs to be done. He is not in it for glory or recognition, but simply because he knows no one else is going to do it. Astrid is the know-it-all with a big heart. I’m all for kick-butt strong female protagonists and she just about had it down. She is a brain: very smart, but also very kind. She has to take care of little Pete, and she does amazing. I was in awe of her! Another character I (unexpectedly) came to love was Lana. She fights her way out of danger all alone in the middle of the desert and never once abandons her wits or her brains. She is brave, strong, and loyal. Although it seems a bit ironic that Sam and his crew just happen to stumble upon a healer, just when they are about to go into battle.

2. The Astrid/Sam relationship: I loved the relationship between Astrid and Sam. They had an innocent, young, teen love, but also a strong friendship and support system. They had each other’s backs throughout the whole book; it never once turned into some idiotic romance. They watched out for each other and did what they could to help everyone through this situation.

3. The plot: This book is creative genius. I It felt 100% new, and Grant is brilliant to have woven his ideas together in such a phenomenal way. It was so unique and realistic, even with the sci-fi tone. The fascinating happenings had me hooked from the beginning. I always had questions and was rushing to see what happens next.

4. The writing. It is very simple and when examined closely, rather childish. But it works for this book. The plot is so amazing that one does not notice the light writing style. It provides a nice combination. It lightens up the book a bit, and allows it to be more fun!

I remember reading someone else’s review of this book saying: “X-men meets Lord of the Flies”. That sums it up perfectly for me. It’s an amazing book, and I absolutely adored it! Can’t wait to read the next one. J
Oh gross the cover. What is it with books having random people staring into the distance on the cover? That doesn't tell me anything..

4 comments:

  1. Have you read the rest of the series yet? IT GETS WORSE. Sry but it's true. The cover- WHOAA that's exactly what I said in my review. "Great minds think alike" ;D I totally agreed with u on the cons and #1 of the pros. Great review! But I totally urge u to read the rest and do a review on Fear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worse? I thought it got better. Until Fear that is.

      Delete
    2. Nope... Fear definitely had to be my favourite book of the series. We finally get to know what's happening outside the FAYZ!!!! Anyways, I haven't given up on the series. Light could be very interesting.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read the rest yet; I'm working on it! I just finished Gone and it was sooo good! Haha yeahh thats the way to go ;) I will for sure read the rest, even if it becomes crappy. LOL who do I believe? Does it get worse or better? I get the feeling Fear is the downfall of the series.. yes? Is that the last one?

    ReplyDelete