The Giver (The Giver Quartet #1) by Lois Lowry

"Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back."


This book was a fairly good read. There were some things that I didn't quite understand in the novel, especially the ending. I guess the conclusion was supposed to leave the reader hanging, but it really just confused me.. :/ How the society was structured in the story was supposed to be a utopia, but it didn't quite seem like one for me if I was in it. Everything was too...organized and thought out.. there were no surprises and I wouldn't want to live in that world. I would rate this book a 8/10, although I learned a lot from it and really liked it, there were still some ideas in it that I didn't really like. I would still recommend the book though!  A lot of people had suggested me to read this book so that means other people like it, give it a try. :)


13 comments:

  1. Did you read the second novel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I just checked, it's called Gathering Blue.

      Delete
    2. I heard that Gathering Blue continues where Jonas left of in The Giver.

      Delete
    3. That would make MUCH more sense because the ending totally left me clueless, if Gathering Blue continued the ending though, then I would definitely read the sequel.

      Delete
    4. Yup, at first I was really perplexed when I read the ending of The Giver, it left me hanging.

      Delete
  3. After Gathering Blue there is Messenger and the fourth and final book called Son will be published later this year

    ReplyDelete