Secrets of My Hollywood Life by Jen Calonita


''Fans of Meg Cabot's Princess Diaries or Ann Brasharess's Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books will gobble this one up'' 
-School Library Journal
I really enjoyed reading Secrets of My Hollywood Life)

Kaitlin Burke is an overworked 16-year-old co-star of one of the hottest TV shows - Family Affair. When it's time for her hiatus she realises she needs a long break from Hollywood, her jealous co-star and expectations of her parents. That's why she decides to take on disguise for two months and enrolls in her friends high school as Rachel, an exchange student from Great Britain.

When I noticed this book in the library I liked the cover and title, so decided to give it a try and I think the book was worth it. I would rate it 7/10.  I don't think Secrets of My Hollywood Life is that amazing, but  it's pretty good. The plot is nothing new, easy and predictable (of course at school Kaitlin meets a guy who likes her for herself) and the writing isn't complicated, either. First chapters are dull and slow-moving. The whole novel is like a mix of Hannah Montana and Princess Diaries.  The protagonist seems very much like Mia from Princess Diaries, too (both of them are celebrity teens who love Star Wars) and her crush, Austin, is too perfect. Throughout the book author revealed Hollywood secrets  (which I guess are true as Jen Calonita used to work at Teen People). After reading this book I realised that teen movie stars have the same problems we have and even more)) 

If you are expecting a life-changing novel, this isn't it. It's a pleasant and satisfying reading which it's supposed to be. I'll recommend it to teens who liked Gossip Girl, Princess Diaries or Clique series.

4 comments:

  1. I love the Princess Diaries! I hope to give this novel a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Princess Diaries are much more better, but I think you'll enjoy this one, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I was hoping this to be as good!

      Delete
  3. I remember reading this one :) It's super fun. It's just like all of Meg Cabots books; light and hilarious!

    ReplyDelete