"Kira-Kira" By: Cynthia Kadohata

Kira-Kira

( Japanese term for "Sparkling")


"Here at the sea—especially at the sea—I could hear my sister’s voice in the waves: ‘Kira-kira! Kira-Kira!’” - Cynthia Kadohata, Kira-Kira

Written through the eyes of the young girl, Katie Takeshima, about being a part of a Japanese-American family living in America during the 1950's and 1960's. this novel has achieved the tears and praise of many readers around the world.

Being a Japanese-America herself, I believe Kadohata has put some personal experiences into this award winning novel.


I was first introduced to this book from my mom. She gave me the Chinese version of this book. As I read, I got pretty sad. I mean, this book doesn't necessarily have all the bling-bling, but it's so engaging. I finished it within 2 days. I didn't want it to finish. After that, I went and borrowed the English version. It was like a double experience of the story.



One word to describe this story would be: emotional. Having the story being told through a young girl's point of view just adds even more innocence and sadness to this story. Even though it isn't a real story, the author did a very good job of making it seem realistic. Whatever Katie was feeling, I felt it too. It was as if I was going through her life with her. I definitely cried a lot during this novel, especially towards the end. It's not a soppy story, don't worry about that. It will take you on an adventure. :)

Here's a quick summary of the story without me giving too much away! :)

Young Katie Takeshima lived with her family in Iowa, where they owned a Asian Supermarket. Her family consisted of her, her sister, her brother and her parents. After their store ran out of business, the whole family had to move to Georgia and the parents had to work in a hatchery to make a living. Katie's best friend was her sister, Lynn. She cherished Lynn with all her heart and looked up to her as a role model and the most intelligent person she knows. Also, Katie holds on very tightly to the Japanese phrase, "Kira-Kira" that Lynn has taught her. After a series of events, Lynn becomes diagnosed with lymphoma. Her condition keeps getting worse even when they all decide to move into a new home of her choice. Things get even worse when their brother Sammy gets caught by a animal trap on the land of Mr. Lyndon, the owner of the hatchery. Being caught up in all this, Katie is feeling a vast variety of emotions. She hopes Lynn will make it through, but the only thing she can hold onto right now is her hope for things to change and "Kira-Kira".


1 comment:

  1. This story was so sad - I had to read it to vote in this one awards program at my elementary school (long story)
    Needless to say I don't like sad stories
    that's my big problem with this genre
    it's all about people's lives getting more messed up than they already are

    ReplyDelete