Holes by Louis Sachar

"Stanley Yelnats was given a choice. The judge said, "You may go to jail, or you may go to Camp Green Lake." Stanley was from a poor family. He had never been to camp before."
I found this novel very unique in it's own way, yet funny.  Poor Stanley was punished for a crime he did not commit. He had a choice though... but he chose to go to Camp Green Lake. There he met some friends and got accepted to their group. Each day they were to dig holes 5 feet deep and 5 feet wide in the blazing sun's heat to punish them for their actions. This punishment was made by the warden to help them "build character", but behind the truth.. there was more than that. Not only were they just digging holes, but they were helping the warden find something valuable to her. The benefits only came to her.. Soon Stanley discovers this truth and decides to search for it himself. Day after day, the weather just seems to get warmer and warmer.. will the boys make it out there or will they end up in the hospital like another one had?
 I would rate this novel a 9/10 because I found it very humorous and interesting to read and it sure taught me things I did not know.

1 comment:

  1. Nice review! I really like how you included a quote at the beginning. Is it okay if I begin to incorporate this into some of my reviews? I really think it adds to the quality of the review. I read Holes quite a while ago, and I remember enjoying it very much. Louis Sachar is an amazing writer with a great creative mind. His plots in every single one of his books is equally enticing. Have you watched the Holes movie? I think it's one of the few movies that actually does a book justice.

    ReplyDelete