Blackout Poetry


Test The Test - by Me
(I had to alter it a bit and blow it up huge so that the words would actually show. XD)

Did you guys ever have a teacher that gave you a big, fat permanent marker and a newspaper, then told you to circle the words that you liked? This is essentially the same concept. :)
After reading "Steal Like an Artist" by Austin Kleon, I discovered a website that payed ode to his other book, "Newspaper Blackout". I haven't read it, but after seeing all the cool poems, I REALLY want to. :)
Website link: http://newspaperblackout.com/ <--------Check it out! :D
Here's some of my favorites (they're horoscopes the author wrote):




Here's some of my favorites from the other users:

Mark Bridge -

Jenn365 -



neekaisweird -


17 comments:

  1. Wow! I have never done this before! Sounds like fun, maybe I'll give it a try this summer :) Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should check out the link. :P
    Some of the poems on the website incorporate art or humor as well. >:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okk, will do! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha you sure found a good website to all these poems ! :) I'm glad you shared them ! Post a poem of your own :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My own poem is actually the very first one (the one that's blown up huge). :D

      Delete
  5. Its GREAT! I love it! :) I hope to do one soon too. This is really creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you did that ?? THATS SOO COOL how'd you do itt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I searched through a newspaper and underlined some words, then I took a marker and drew a square around them. I ended up using black paint to color in everything else around it though, cause the marker wasn't really working too well. (too shiny) XD
      I also had to fiddle with the words on 'paint' a bit so they were legible.
      The whole process didn't take very long at all. :D

      You should make one if you want, then post it. It's quite fun actually. :)

      Delete
    2. ohh what made you have this idea to do that ??

      Delete
    3. There's a book called "Newspaper Blackout" by Austin Kleon that inspired me (the website actually, I haven't read the book...yet. :D).

      Delete
  7. I hope to visit the website soon, considering the fact that it is so inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perhaps I will read the book as well! Sounds galvanizing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. By the way, what is the website? I can't wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://newspaperblackout.com/
      It's posted up by the top as well. :D

      Delete