Dragonwings by Laurence Yep

"In this historical novel about the pursuit of dreams, Moon Shadow is a young Chinese immigrant who comes to San Francisco at the turn of the century to join his father Windrider, whom he has never met. At first father and son live and work with relatives in the Chinese section of town, but when a man is killed and their lives are endangered, the two move out and make friends with a woman and her granddaughter. The four survive the San Francisco earthquake of 1906, but Moon Shadow and his father are forced to move again. With Moon Shadow's help, Windrider begins to pursue some of his long-held dreams."

AMAZING BOOK! If I saw this at the library, I will most likely not pick it up, but because I had to do a novel study on it, I realized that this novel was completely not how I expected it to be! It had many literary devices and terms, so I sure learned a lot from it. Trust me, this is worth the read if you want to enhance your vocabulary. WARNING: there are a few vulgar words written in the novel. Rating: 9/10

6 comments:

  1. I read this book as well! I loved it! It contained a great message about racism and discrimination. This novel probably contains one of the best messages that I have ever learned about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, amazing novel with a meaningful message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What was your favourite occurrence in this novel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read this novel as well! My favorite part was when they sent off the plane.

      Delete
    2. That was a very exciting moment for Moon Shadow! I enjoyed reading that part too! :)

      Delete
    3. Almost the whole book was my favorite occurrence! I can't possibly choose :$ , how about you?

      Delete