Glow - Amy Kathleen Ryan

I'm not including a quote because all the ones I found were boring as hell and way too long. Just like the book itself.

I do not like the writing style at all in glow. Everything was said in SO MUCH DETAIL going on and on and on and it usually was just really dry. Everything was so.. explained. If you get what I'm talking about.. that's a really bad thing! The plot would be interesting if the writing didn't drag on so much. Unfortunately, the book is poorly written, boring and frankly, just plain BAD. Over half of the book seemed like an introduction, with nothing interesting happening at all. Everything that happened in the first half of the book could have been easily guessed from reading the description.

I hated Waverly. I didn't understand any of the decisions she made, starting from when she declined Keiran's marriage request, to when she willingly walked onto the abduction shuttle from the New Horizen and her ending decisions, it didn't make any sense! In my opinion, she is stupid, indecisive and annoying. She didn't draw my sympathies at all.

I couldn't connect with Kieran at all. He wasn't smart, he wasn't sweet, he wasn't cute. The way he was portrayed made me feel like he was powerless and insecure. I mean, he was supposed to be the hero. What the hell was even going on?

A lot of the chapters were just action chapters. Bullets whizzing around, heroines kicking ass, men fighting, people screaming. I don't know if many people agree with me, but too much of that can be really tedious. That on top of the over-explaining writing style was too much. My mind was wandering and my interests were NOT engaged.

I am not reading the sequel for fear of sleeping through it. It was so dry, incredibly boring- just don't read it. Do not be enticed by the fabulous cover.

10 comments:

  1. LOL this review surely showed and portrayed your hatred towards this novel! It seems I would despise this book as well and the cover sure caught my attention ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeahh I always choose books based on the cover (though that might not be the best idea) and that's what made me try it out when I saw it on the shelf.

      Delete
    2. haha same here! It's hard not to 'judge a book by it's cover', even though you aren't supposed to.

      Delete
  2. Even though you feel great disgust towards "Glow", who would you recommend this book to?
    Anyone at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't talk about it much in my review, but I actually really liked the plot. It was just the writing and characters that made me despise it so much. I can't specify a certain age group or personality that would enjoy the book, though I think girls would enjoy it more than boys would. I guess if you could get over the writing, anyone might like it.

      Delete
    2. Well I guess it won't hurt to try! Thanks! :)

      Delete
    3. Yes, that's right. Maybe read it yourself and get your own opinion.

      Delete
  3. That's funny because I really liked Glow! It reminded me of the Lord of the flies where all the kids have to fend for themselves and how the relationships either break or get stronger. But if you didn't like Glow you might want to try Across the Universe. Similar idea as GLOW with humans on a space ship trying to get to a new planet, but with crazy things happening on the ship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked Lord of the Flies as well (it's one of my favorites) but I didn't find any resemblance between the two. It's always interesting to get others opinions. :) Thanks for the recommendation! I looked up "Across the Universe" and it seems really interesting.

      Delete