Bitterblue, Kristin Cashore


Before you continue reading, beware, not everything in this review is positive! I had some disappointments with “Bitterblue”, most likely because I expected too much, and therefore, was overcritical. ):

This is the story of Queen Bitterblue. For thirty-five years citizens fell victim to King Leck’s sadistic and unforgettable reign, but eight years later, Monsea still lingers in the past. Queen Bitterblue is now eighteen, ruling her country peacefully through the aid of her advisers. However, memories of Leck’s tyrannical rule live locked in the minds of the country, and as Bitterblue attempts to move forward by discovering the past, she realises there are those that would do anything it takes not to remember.

This book, as Kristin Cashore’s other novels, was exceptionally written. I adore her writing style and the lovely descriptions she adds into her books. However, my problem was not with her writing, but with the overcomplicated plotline. For the first one hundred pages, I enjoyed the book. Bitterblue, curious about the condition of her citizens, sneaks out at night and visits the city. She discovers secrets associated with the impact her father left on the country, and digs further. The main plot eventually detours, and becomes too scattered. I felt like I was reading three different stories - the concentration on some (of the numerous) secondary characters in these mini-plots were either way too short, or felt pointless and random. Though in the end, I did like the ‘main’ plot line.   

The amount of the secondary characters in “Bitterblue” was unnecessary, as most were rather flat and overshadowed the protagonist. Some were introduced half-way through the book, and many vanished and resurfaced randomly with some sort of vital information to the plot, so I felt like I never got to know anyone other than Bitterblue. Death (pronounced ‘D -E-E-T-H’ :D), the castle’s grumpy librarian, and Giddon, ‘Middluns Lord’ and Po’s traveling companion, were the only two that actually grew on me. Bitterblue, however, was a character I was contented to read about. She demonstrated depth and intelligence, but also imperfections that made her realistic. Although her history and discoveries of Leck did not move me to tears, it certainly made me feel compassion for the character and her mother. Also, for those Katsa and Po fans, they’re in the book as well. :)

“Everyone was strange. In a fit of frustration, [Bitterblue] scratched out strange and wrote the word CRACKPOTS in big letters.”
-Kristin Cashore, Bitterblue

I am sorry to say was not happy with the romance in this book. At first I thought that it had some promise, Saf (Sapphire) is a commoner who was raised on a Lienid ship. Now in Monsea, he works as an all around troublemaker and hired ‘thief’ (you’ll discover why quotation marks are put around this later ;D). Initially, his mistrusting personality and actions seemed justified. However Bitterblue’s love interest is similar to the plot, slightly confusing and twisted.  Their relationship started off as a cautious friendship, neither Bitterblue nor Saf knew anything about each other when they first met. As trust built slowly between the two of them, their connection continued to grow. However, when this friendship began to develop into romance, I felt the relationship shift from something genuine to an awkward and unnatural state. Saf’s personality seemed to flip constantly throughout the rest of the novel. He disappeared for several chucks of the book, and every time reappeared with a different attitude towards his relationship with Bitterblue. Along with these personality flips, he also made some rather stupid decisions that put himself and those he loved in serious danger. I don’t want to be too harsh on Saf’s character, as I truly liked him at first, but I personally wished that Bitterblue and Saf remained friends.

I hope no one flames me for this review, as it’s my honest opinion, but in all entirety I’ll admit I didn’t love “Bitterblue”. I’m still happy I read the book (I love Kristin Cashore’s writing style none-the-less), and encourage those that have read “Graceling” and “Fire” to try it out. Hopefully you’ll think differently! 
7.5 - 8.0 /10 <--- *As I reflect back on the book, I realize I was being way too harsh. Changed the score. :D




6 comments:

  1. Great review! Did you enjoy reading this book the most out of the three?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite was the first (Graceling). It was simple and lovely, things started to get more complicated as the books went on. ):

      Delete
  2. I love Graceling too! I was hoping that the books weren't going to get more complex, but I guess that won't happen. hahah

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh nuuuu!!!! I'm almost done writing a totally opposite review (: maybeeeee I'll convince you that it is actually worth the read! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, contrasting reviews! :D
      I'm still glad I read the book despite my mini-rant. :)

      Delete