Graceling - Kristin Cashore

           I first read this book for an English assignment last October. Originally, I didn't like it at all. I thought the plot was predictable and the style of writing boring. Of course, this may have been because I was forced to read the book for English class. Then I found that the book had become popular, and that many people my age were reading it and giving it stunning reviews.
            So I re-read the book. The second time through, I was able to appreciate the unique plot a little bit more, but I still didn't love it. I think the book was good in that it was unique and exciting, but I also found that there were many paragraphs that dragged on and on. There were many parts that could be said in less words to make the book more interesting and fast paced. I also did not like the way Cashore wrote the book. I believe tender parts should be tender, using more emotional language and fights should be full of anger and strong words. I just didn't find that at all in the story. Overall, it was a bit lacking. Not a bad book, but not particularly good either.

8 comments:

  1. Great review! I read this book as well although, my opinion greatly contrasted from yours. Graceling is my favourite novel out of the three novels in this trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you read the other two novels in this trilogy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks summerstar :) Yes, I just finished reading your review for Graceling. I have not read the other two novels in the triology yet- I wasn't very eager to as I did not enjoy Graceling as much as you seem to have. What parts of it were your favorite? What made you enjoy it so much?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved how the characters were gifted with talents (gracelings). I have never read anything similar to Graceling, so I found the plot quite captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favourite part would have to be when she discovers her true grace, and realizes that what she thought was her grace before was only a small part of what her grace really is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I agree with you on that count. The plot was extremely unique. I, too, have never read a book even similar to Graceling. I don't think it was the plot that I didn't like, it was more the style of writing. That was what I found a tad boring. I think that would be my favorite part as well. It's a turning point in the story

    ReplyDelete
  7. I understand! Sometimes its just the style of writing or characters that people don't like, different people like different things! haha

    ReplyDelete