City of Lost Souls - Cassandra Clare

 City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare is about the nephilim - half angel, half humans - who work as shadowhunters and protect the human race from demons, warlocks, vampires, werewolves, and fey.  This installment of The Mortal Instruments series talks about how Jace Herondale/Lightwood is captured and made a servant of evil.  Though the clave (the nephilim governemnt) has decided there were more important things on their plate then search for a lost shadowhunter, Jace's family continues their search for him.

I would give this novel a 9/10.
There were funny parts, giving a much needed break from the intense action of the novel.  Romance and romantic problems that made you want so desperately to fight for the romance you believe was true.  Then there was real fear, when a problem arose and you couldn't see a way out where your charaters could survive and be happy.
I felt, personally, that the Infernal devices was a better series then this series.  The whole fact that Clary and Jace with their angelic powers and Sebastian with his demonic powers were better then any other shadowhunters bothered me.  There were times when Clary and Jocelyn were so headstrong, you wanted to punch their imaginary face cause they were being so frustrating, because they couldn't see how stupid they were to do the things they did.  Not to mention, I soon got bored with Clary's narrations, but I was easily able to gobble up the parts with Simon and Isabelle, and Magnus and Alec.

I would recommend this novel if you enjoyed novels about the supernatural like Tithe by Holly Black, The Inferna Devices by Cassandra Clare, or Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with almost all of your review. I found that Clary is an extremely boring character without Jace. In all the previous installments of the Mortal Instruments, Clary and Jace have been the best parts, and I skimmed all of the Magnus, Alec, Simon, Isabelle and Maya parts to get back to them. But when Jace is absent with the evil Sebastion in City of Lost Souls, Clary's monologues are tedious and useless. I found myself doing the opposite; skimming THOSE parts to get back to Simon, Isabelle etc. It was interesting to see :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry; that was an extremely confusing comment. Hope you understand what I was trying to say..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, I think it was just because Clary was being too needy, too much I-can't-live-without-Jace

      Delete