L.A. Candy - Lauren Conrad

So, I think out of all the hollywood/celebrity/gossipy type novels I've read, L.A. Candy was the most interesting and different because it is written by someone who has experienced firsthand what it's like to be living in the spotlight. Lauren Conrad - the author - starred on "The Hills" and I think she has acted on other shows before (I'm not sure), but went on to write this series based on the gossip and drama of living in L.A.

It's an okay book. Very poorly written, some good and some bad characters, but nice plot nonetheless. I did not enjoy this book as much as I expected from looking at the cover, author and reading the description, but it wasn't horrible. Here's my breakdown:

First the characters: I found Jane extremely annoying. She was way too naive and innocent for my taste, and although I believe that is the way she was meant to be portrayed, it made me strongly dislike her. She just made so many crappy decisions. I think this is the only story I have ever read in my life where I have been screaming at the book. My parents thought I was a lunatic. However, I loved Scarlett. She was so down to earth and strong and smart. She made all the right choices, she was loyal to her dumb-butt friend and she was just downright amazing.

The writing style: It was not well written at all. I did not like the writing style. Honestly, I think I could have written better than Lauren Conrad did. Here's an example sentence taken from the book:

In high school, before Caleb, Jane had fallen for more than a few boys with "complications"... aka boys with ex-girlfriends who refused to stay ex-girlfriends (like Rob, who kept getting wasted at parties and hooking up with his ex, Brittany, or Danny, who insisted on being BFFs with his ex, Rachel, who openly hated jane and trash-talked her to Danny at every opportunity) or guys who were otherwise not prime boyfriend material.

Most of the book was written like the above sentence. It's confusing, it's weird, I just didn't get it.

The plot: The storyline/plot was good. I think it was a great idea, and gave insight into the Hollywood life. The book could have been a bestseller. It was interesting, captivating and unique. But the way the plot was portrayed messed it all up. The writing and the characters did not do the storyline justice.
And I love the cover :) It's so..i dunno. I just love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment