Tricks by Ellen Hopkins



                                                                  Goodreads Summery:
Five teenagers from different parts of the country. Three girls. Two guys. Four straight. One gay. Some rich. Some poor. Some from great families. Some with no one at all. All living their lives as best they can, but all searching...for freedom, safety, community, family, love. What they don't expect, though, is all that can happen when those powerful little words "I love you" are said for all the wrong reasons.

Five moving stories remain separate at first, then interweave to tell a larger, powerful story -- a story about making choices, taking leaps of faith, falling down, and growing up. A story about kids figuring out what sex and love are all about, at all costs, while asking themselves, "Can I ever feel okay about myself?"


                                                            My Review:


Ellen Hopkins is an amazing writer! This is not the first book I have read by her but it was just as amazing as the others. She isn't scared to write about bold topics and talk of the bad parts of religion and broken families . This book talks about lives of teenagers just like me. The only difference is that there families couldn't except them. Didn't care enough...



"Necessity is a motherf*****" -Tricks, Ellen Hopkins. This is probably my favourite quote in the entire book. All these teens, are doing what they have to do. There choices have been taken from them. The story takes place in Las Vagas, sin city for the crimes they're committing to survive  I think it was very clever of her to choose Las Vagas out of everywhere else because she's trying to raise awareness for a certain cause I wont say...don't wanna give away to much! Anyways, its a book that will totally get you hooked. This is real life. There are people that have stories just like these five have, the only thing that separates many of us, keeps us from jumping the edge, from leaving home, or in one case getting kicked out, is that we are loved. Tricks really opened my eyes to all that I have and how life can change just in a snap. How happiness comes in so many ways and how love can be so hard to find. The overall message of this book is so touching and the writing so captivation I have to give it a 5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment