Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Description from here
They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

My review:
I was immediately captivated to the story from the description, since I felt something unique about it. A dystopian book where love is considered a disease? That's got to be interesting, something I haven't heard of before. I was also bracing myself for the romance, but I still wanted to see how it played.
The beginning of the story was nice and explanatory about Lena's life. The only thing I didn't really like was that Lena seemed to be just explaining everything; about her family, friends, government. She just spoke all the facts about them instead of really showing, but that's just me and my favouritism. It was easy to understand though, most definitely.
Then there's the characters; Lauren Oliver seems to have given a good grasp on all the characters so you can tell them apart, and can already tell somebody's personality from book 1. Though the main characters are Lena and Alex, I could still get a good sense of who Hana, Aunt Carol, Grace, and other characters were. 
I think Lena really does separate from others though, and not just because her mother couldn't be 'cured' from the disease. She's like any other person; eager to be cured, but more and more reluctance forms in her when her operation date comes nearer. This, I partially blame Alex, since he appeared in Lena's life so suddenly, but us readers all know from the start that love is indeed a good thing, so we know Alex's appearance was needed to help Lena realize the truth behind love.
This book also really made me think maybe love really is a disease if you think about it, but I'm not sure how doctors really 'cure' you from love. It seems pretty impossible, but anything's possible in this world. 
The ending though, was so perfect. It would've been just okay with that cliffhanger ending, if there was no trilogy at all, I would've loved it. The ending gave me as a reader an imagination of what happens next, and of course, longing for the sequel (which I went to borrow at the library the following day!)
Overall, 4.5/5.


No comments:

Post a Comment