The Book Thief - Markus Zusak


HI GUYS! I've been so busy lately that I haven't even had time to touch my computer, but I finally caught a break to write my first review of the summer! Where do I even begin with this book? The Book Thief tells a heart-wrenching story that will undoubtedly haunt me for the rest of my life. It was beautiful yet poignant, and had me in an emotional wreck of laughter and tears (sometimes at the same time).

I was very intrigued by the personification of Death as the narrator of this book, especially as Death was portrayed in a rather positive light - a weary being who had the tiresome job of collecting the souls of the deceased for all of eternity. But as he goes around collecting souls, he witnesses scenes of horror, treachery, and discrimination which the human race inflicts upon others who should be treated as their equals. Death is “exhausted with his eternal existence and afraid of humans due to the obliteration we have perpetrated on each other throughout the ages.” (Markus Zusak). He tells the story of The Book Thief to prove to himself that humans are actually worth it, and after witnessing the incredibly heroic actions of characters such as Liesel, Hans, Rudy, and Max, he decides that humans are not really so bad. Humans are capable of so much evil (as exemplified through the happenings of the Holocaust), but at the same time, there are humans who are incredible. They take enormous risks where they have a lot to lose and nothing to gain. Death learns that humans can be worthwhile and beautiful, even in the ugliest of times. Further, humanity is complex and layered. Characters suffer cruel fates but also are great examples of the power of personal sacrifice, heroism, friendship, and courage. Even with a horrific backdrop, no one can strip a character of their spirit and humanity, and ultimately this book is a portrayal of the triumph of human nature. I was also pleasantly surprised when I realized that this book was written from the perspective of a German girl, rather than the typical Holocaust stories which are told from the Jewish viewpoint. It really exemplifies how the Holocaust did not just affect the Jews, but rather all of Germany and surrounding countries; Liesel and her German friends and family are subjected to fates just as atrocious as those of the Jewish population.
My favorite part of this book was the writing. Markus Zusak has a style of writing that I have never experienced before, and I doubt I will ever have the fortune to come across again. His writing is beautiful and elegant with a touch of mystery that gives the whole book a sullen undertone. He manages to put humor and horror together in the same sentence while still maintaining his ever-present haunting and poetic feel. He truly is a literary marvel who expertly manipulates language to create a vivid landscape in my mind. And how he does all this and still allows room for personal interpretation of his writing is absolutely beyond me. By this I mean that a single one of his lines can be interpreted hundred's of different ways depending on the experiences and emotions of the reader. As for the characters, Zusak uses his phenomenal power over language to give his characters depth and make them “real”. He constructs them from words and slowly builds and develops them at just the right pace that I begin to love them without even knowing it myself. I loved each and every one of his characters, but if I were to choose a favorite it would have to be Hans. He was so fatherly and caring to Liesel and on the outside he seemed to be a rather boring and typical character. But as the story progressed, so did my understanding of Hans, and I realized he was a complex and dimensional character who had gone through countless struggles throughout his life. The turning point for me in regards to Hans was when he chose to present a dying Jew with a piece of bread, an action which he knew could have cost him his life. It showed me that in the face of conflict, Hans Hubermann chooses to do what he believes is moral and correct where he has everything to lose and nothing to gain.

I find it difficult to go into this book in terms of technical elements because The Book Thief is more of a piece of art than a piece of writing. It is constituted of a multitude of shades and colours which make it a literary genius. There are tons of Holocaust books out there, but I promise you will never ever come across one that touches your heart as much as The Book Thief.
I'll leave you with a few of my favorite quotes from the book to ponder.
“People observe the colors of a day only at its beginnings and ends, but to me it's quite clear that a day merges through a multitude of shades and intonations with each passing moment. A single hour can consist of thousands of different colors. Waxy yellows, cloud-spot blues. Murky darkness. In my line of work, I make it a point to notice them.”
“So much good, so much evil. Just add water.”
“In 1933, 90 percent of Germans showed unflinching support for Adolf Hitler. That leaves 10 percent who didn’t. Hans Hubermann belonged to the 10 percent.”


“I am haunted by humans.”
 

4 comments:

  1. Great review! We did this book in my school's book club this year. While the prose of the novel was quite well done, it wasn't my favourite WW2 novel as this form of historical fiction (social history as opposed to military/political history) generally isn't my thing. The comic relief was well done though I must admit.
    As a sidenote - this book taught me more German swearwords than I already knew - now I officially can say that I know how to curse in two languages XD.
    I give the Book Thief 4/5 - just because of the quality/uniqueness of the writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super well written. Well done! :) your review was really in depth and I feel as if I read the novel myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Movie is coming out this year! http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/07/11/the-book-thief-release-date/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! @bendavis I'm more of a social history person myself. Totally agree with you about the German swear words though LOL.

    I didn't know there was a movie coming out! So excited :) I think Sophie Nelisse is perfect for the role of Liesel (judging on her appearance only). What do you guys think?

    ReplyDelete