The Elite by Kiera Cass


“You know that you’ve found something amazing, and you want to hold on to it forever; and every second after you have it, you fear the moment you might lose it.” 

WOW. The Elite is the second book of a dystopian trilogy which began last April in 2012. Let me just first remind you all, I LOVE DYSTOPIANS. However, it seems the only romantic dystopian plot possible goes like this:

First Novel: Girl is poor and helpless, but has the passion to change her world. Girl miraculously receives an opportunity to vent her passion. Girl leaves family and boyfriend. Girl gains attention of world. Girl meets new guy, whom she falls in love with. 

Second Novel: Girl continues to vent passion and change world. Girl is torn between the two guys she loves. Basically nothing hugely plot changing happens.
Third Novel: Revolution is completed. Girl successfully changes world for the better. Girl choses the guy she loves. 

Seriously, all romantic dystopians are like this. Just look at The Hunger Games and Divergent. This is not to say that they aren't good books... However, a different take on this over-used plot line would be nice. 

The Selection is the first book of this series and a novel I thoroughly enjoyed reading. However, I knew to lower my hopes for the second novel. I find that the second novel (or movie!) of a romantic trilogy seems to be the most disappointing, most often. There is nothing interesting going on between their relationships during the second novel, only hesitation and "teenage-angst" as the action all occurs in the final book.

Here's a short summary from goodreads:

Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America (the main character) still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

The Elite met my low expectations. Basically, America continues her angsty, insecure pondering on whether Maxon or Aspen should be her future husband. Furthermore (in my opinion), she actually does less for Illea than Katniss did for Panem and Tris did for the five factions. America has a good character, but she hasn't made any progress in saving Illea so far. This is the second book, which means all the action and important changes will have to be crammed into the third book. That's unbalanced plot distribution, which really hinders the success of the series. You're definitely going to be bored while reading this book. Unless you enjoy shallow, over-used dialogues like this one: (Summary only :P)

America: Oh Maxim, I love you. But wait, I think I like Aspen too. Wait for my decision!
Maxim: Oh American, I love you too. I'll wait... but if I have to wait too long, I'm choosing someone else.
America: (Still can't decide)
Maxim: *flirts with other girls*
America: Maxim! Come back to me. I'm going to choose you!
Maxim: Yay! I'm starting the marriage preparations!
(Few days later)
America: Wait, I actually still don't know.
*Repeat summary dialogue*

Okay I think you get the idea. Anyways, if you didn't get the message yet. I was REALLY disappointed after reading this book. To me, it was shallow, had an over-used plot, had characters with no depth and was just too predictable. Zero plot twists. 

The only redeeming quality I can speak of is Maxim. He just sounds like a good looking person. So if I were to fangirl from this book, I would be Team Maxim. 

Anyways. 

2/5 If you start the series, you could just skip this one. You're not missing out, I swear. 

5 comments:

  1. Hahah The way you described this book makes The Elite sound like a funny novel instead of a romantic one. Was the first book the same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm, I would say the first book was funny and definitely a better read than the second. However, it's not so funny that you would place it in the romantic comedy genre.

      Delete
    2. The only aspect that hinders me from reading The Elite is that there are zero plot twists :( but I will definitely make an effort to read the first novel in this series. :)

      Delete
  2. America? SERIOUSLY? Hmm I wonder what she's supposed to represent... (sarcasm)
    Someone seriously needs to learn to be more original with character names... or just use normal names... either way, anything is better than naming a protagonist THAT.
    Such a blatant plug of the US is seriously disgusting - whether its intentional or not - and somewhat alienating of whatever wider audience in the world the author hopes to achieve. (need I remind you that the US is ranked 22nd in reputation out of the world's countries (Canada is #1 on that list YAY!))
    Ok, I'm done ranting now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahahah :"''D What you're saying is true. However, there is ONE romantic dystopian I know of set in Beijing!!! Unheard of I tell you!!! It's called Cinder if you want to check it out. But I wouldn't really recommend it as a satisfying and well-written novel. It's plot idea is very intriguing though :))

      Delete