The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with everyone out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister’s place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.


There has been a lot of fuss about the Hunger Games movie which came out recently. Having been a long-time Hunger Games fan, I have to admit I was pretty excited for it as well. It surpassed my expectations. It was a really good movie. But the book was even better.
The Hunger Games is the ultimate in reality TV, suspense, scripted realism, romance and survival. It has an amazing, unique storyline which sucked me in completely from the start. I absolutely love the Hunger Games. There is not one bad thing I can think of to say about the book. I love the characters from Katniss who is brave, strong and loyal to Peeta who is adorable, fun and determined to even Haymitch who's just downright hilarious.

I feel like it has a bigger meaning than just throwing a bunch of kids in an arena and watching them kill each other. The capitol is a big part of the plot, and it's important to be able to see the bigger picture. There is a paragraph where Katniss and Peeta are on the roof of the train, and Peeta is talking about how he doesn't just want to be a puppet in their games. He wants to make a difference. When Rue dies, Katniss sings to her and covers her in flowers. In the end, the trick with the berries. It's all in rebellion against the capitol, and I love it. It's a beautiful story and incredibly well written.

There are two book series which I feel really stand out from the rest. Harry Potter and The Hunger Games. The Hunger Games lived up to the legacy Harry Potter created, and (oh dear I'm going to get hell for this) but in some ways I think the Hunger Games has a stronger message, and is a better series than Harry Potter. So, yeah, props to Suzanne Collins for writing an amazing book!

Here's the movie trailer, in case you have not seen it yet. You really should consider going and watching it. It's quite good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S9a5V9ODuY

4 comments:

  1. This was definitely the best of the series. I would not recommend Mockingjay to ANYONE. It was sooo bad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I looooved Hunger Games but Mockingjay was a big mess. I don't know what Suzanne Collins was thinking. It was confusing as hell and the ending was a huge disappointment. That was not the phenomenal finale I was expecting at all..

      Delete
    2. Yes, i completely agree with this and also because i find that Katniss goes from this independant girl to a damsel in distress. The Hunger Games is actually a well written book and is also a very gripping novel, although i did find that the part at the end of the areana was very creepy and i'm glad that this book isnt classified as a chidren's novel because that part at the end of the areana is kind of twisted...

      Delete
    3. I really loved the movie, too. I think it was the best movie I've seen in a reeaalllly long time. The book was quite intriguing and i have yet to read the next one. Would you say that Catching Fire is as great as the first, or does the series go down from there. I think I'd still like to read the last one for myself. I loved Rue. she was my favourite character, besides Katniss. I just wish she could have survived, too.

      Delete