What Alice Forgot, Liane Moriarty


Figured I'd transfer over some of my reviews from the teenrc website. This was probably my favorite book this summer, so I'm bringing this one over first. :)

BTW, Congrats Ashini for the honorable mention. :D You know, I'm actually surprised some of the others on the blog didn't get mentions or win the grand prize, you guys had some great reviews. A lot made me laugh and many made me actually want to read the book. (In comparison...not to sound negative or anything, but none of the other mentions or even the winner were as good as most of the reviews you guys wrote on this site. Maybe I'm missing something? Maybe I'm biased [since you guys are awesome and what-not]? Maybe it's the truth? Am I the only one that's crazy here?!)

ANYWAYS,

If you don't feel like reading the review, this pretty much sums it up:


-Barfing that rainbow goodness all over. And guess what? You. Will. Like. It.-

Otherwise, please refer to the insane amounts of gushing from an overly emotional dork below:

What can I say about a book so exquisite, that I tear up simply thinking about it?

“What Alice Forgot” is the precious, brilliant, little treasure I’d been lusting after in a book for a long time. I was at first reluctant to begin reading, but once I began, I couldn’t stop until my eyes had consumed every last, magnificent page.

How could I not see it before? The writing is so simple, yet so wonderfully peculiar and witty. I found myself chuckling constantly throughout the book. Oh, Alice. How I love you and your quirks. This is her story.

Alice is twenty-nine years old. She’s a sweet and innocently optimistic individual that loves chocolate, her newlywed husband, Nick, and the cluster of cells inside her (the baby they call Sultana) to pieces. At least, that’s what she keeps telling everyone. When did her husband come to despise her, what happened to Sultana, and the pretty, little dream of their rickety house? Well, after slipping and bumping her head during spin class, everyone else keeps telling her she’s a thirty-nine year old mother of three. Sultana is now a fully grown little girl, Madison, Nick has developed a profound bitterness towards her and the dream of their perfect home is now complete. Alice doesn’t like her new life. She’s a once lovable, funny, awkward individual imprisoned inside the body of an alien; a power crazed, mega mom. With a decade of her memories lost, Alice has to learn what she’s become and what exactly happened to create such a different persona. Otherwise, she’ll never be able to put the pieces of her life back together again.

Alice is a gem, I loved her every bit throughout the book. Her relationships with those around her were so heartbreakingly real that you felt the devastation, confusion, happiness and love she experienced. Alice with her children – complete strangers, her own flesh and blood she should know so well, but didn’t actually know at all. Alice with her sister, Elizabeth – always the social butterfly, but ten years later the roles were reversed, her sister now an empty husk filled with bitterness. However, what touched me most was her relationship with Nick. Whenever Alice mentioned Nick, her eyes lit up with such desperate love, love that she knew he wouldn’t reciprocate. She wanted to recreate the love they felt years ago, but because Nick hated her, she simply couldn’t. Every time Alice was rejected by Nick, my heart ached for her. Rejected by the one she loved most in the world, how utterly unbearable.

And Elizabeth, my dear, my heart breaks for you as well. Elizabeth’s character and story are so overwhelmingly powerful and raw, that I couldn’t stop the rather annoying faucet of hot, salty tears and snot from running down my face. Aside from the loveliness that red, puffy eyes and mucus added to my appearance, it also clouded my vision and clogged up my nose entirely. This incident happened several times throughout the story, so I can’t even imagine how I must’ve looked when I’d finished the book. In all seriousness though, I was heartbroken. I watched the once happy, vibrant and outgoing Elizabeth, transform into a cynical woman, a wife trapped behind the devastation of infertility. After mourning for child, after unborn child, Elizabeth withdraws from the rest of the world and is pulled into her own self hatred and pity. She resentfully narrates these events through ‘homework’ for her therapy sessions, letters her therapist is never supposed to read, and becomes increasingly desperate for a child as the book progresses. I hated having to suffer Elizabeth’s pain – she acted so nonchalantly on the outside, but loathed herself for their death in secret. As each embryo was ripped away from her, a false piece of hope was replaced with a lingering bitterness, a bitterness that collected and eventually built a wall around Elizabeth’s heart. I couldn’t help but feel this same bitterness myself.

Elizabeth’s misery had effectively clutched at my heart, refused to let go, and contorted my face into an angry, red and tear-streaked mess all at the same time. This is why I love her story.

Overall, “What Alice Forgot” is lovely; it’s a book that’s sweet and sour, something you’d happily read outside on a lazy, summer afternoon. This light read has definite depth added into the writing, characters and their stories. However, what I took away most from this book is the concept of love. First loves, aged love, the kind of love I want, what true love is – it’s all demonstrated here.

First love is like champagne – it’s sparkling and bubbly, and it draws you away from everyone else in the world if you’re not careful. You can get drunk off the experience, wishing the beginning would never end. Then you wake up with a hangover, and everything goes to hell. The honeymoon phase is over and the relationship begins to falter, teetering on the edge. Anyone can feel this type of love, the giddy unawareness of a drunken state, but then there’s the love that survives. Something despite all the arguments, difficulties and obstacles, nothing would ever make you give it up. That’s what I want – a love that’s beautiful and true.

When my aged and withered husband looks at my eighty year old self, my own body old and crumpled, I want to be able to feel that wonderful sense of complete and total endearment from fifty years ago. I want to be able to return this feeling to him. I’ll know that despite the best and the worst, our love for each other has overcome it all.

It’s a real love, a shaky love. Love that quivers throughout all its faults and imperfections, but never quite manages to collapse. Instead, it’ll wind right back up, always determined to start again.

Final Verdict: 10.0/10.0

5 comments:

  1. Regarding the winner of the teenrc club, no ur not crazy. I checked the winning post a few days ago, and truth to be told, it was not as detailed as bendavis' reviews, not as funny as ashini's and just not as well written as all of yours. I just think we all put sweat and tears (well, maybe not really) into our posts and that one of us definitely deserved the prize.
    If you haven't, check out the winning post:

    "Drop whatever you are doing and grab this book off the shelves. This book is to die for! Get it? Because you would be considered a thief for grabbing the book and because the book is narrated by Death?… Oh well, at least I tried.

    Set in Germany in World War II, it reveals the journey of Lisel Meminger, a young girl whose mother abandons her and as a result, is taken under the care of foster parents in Molching who raise her as their own. With the help of her foster father, Liesel steals her first book and quickly develops a desire to learn to read and acquires a passion for words. Each book Liesel obtains plays a significant role in her life and connect her to those around her. As the story unfolds, Liesel experiences multiple occurances with Death and the novel entwines around these episodes.

    Not only is this book innovational and well-written, the novel is mesmerizing in a whole new level words cannot describe. I grew attached to the characters especially that of Liesel and had difficulty putting down the book. Because I was adhered to each poignant character, the happenings of the story makes events twice as emotional. Also, the author’s writing style is absolutely beautiful; Marcus’ ability to capture such raw emotion is beyond indescribable. Furthermore, this book is perfect for discussions as it delivers about many different thoughts and feelings.

    In the end, I would fully recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys deep, compelling novels or if you’re just a sucker for historical fiction like me!"

    Anyways, I'm kinda too busy these days to post on the blog, but I'm still waiting for the photo contest winners to be announced :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ashley for acknowledging the honourable mention. I agree with both you and Angela on the subject of the winning review. While I think “The Book Thief” itself was a phenomenal choice, I don't think the the review was quite up to par. The reviewer spends most of her time encouraging others to read the book, but never really goes into explaining why.

    Great review Ashley! I haven't gotten around to reading “What Alice Forgot” yet, but I have heard amazing things about it. By the way, missed seeing you at the party last week :( I look forward to meeting you sometime next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Angelaf: Ok, good. I'm not crazy. I read the review as soon as the winner was announced, since I figured if none of you guys (you ppl on the blog in general) won, then the review must have been crazy fabulous. It just...wasn't, not really. I loved the book, but not the review. Maybe the first part was a little witty, but it wasn't anything close to par with the others on this site. You guys were honest, funny, and your reviews overall were very fun to read. Also, how come you guys didn't EVEN get honorable mentions?! I know that one of the honorable mentions had reviews that were only one sentence long. ONE. Every single review that I saw was one sentence. Honestly, my rage isn't over the prize, it's definitely more over the actual 'win'. I hate acting like this, but it just seems completely unfair. Anyways, rant complete. :/

      @ Ashini: Thanks. It's a book that's worth your time if you're a fairytale person. :)
      Definitely hoping to meet everyone sometime soon! I'm dying though, no time, work and school are killing me. ):

      Delete
    2. @Ashley: yep, can't help but wonder if our reviews were even read..
      Oh and congrats u guys on the contest!
      Ashley, I really loved your vibrant roots idea- ingenious. And Ashini, your book cover= <3
      You guys pro artists or smth?!
      Anyways, yeah um hope u all continue blogging throughout the yr!

      Delete